Newdelhi:7/12/23:The Government of India has decided to map and document all villages under Mera Gaon, Meri Dharohar (MGMD) Programme. This National Mission on Cultural Mapping is conducted in coordination with Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA) under the Ministry of Culture. A web portal on MGMD has also been launched on 27th July, 2023. The MGMD seeks to compile comprehensive information detailing the life, history, and ethos of Indian villages and to make the same available to virtual and real-time visitors. Under the MGMD, information is collected under seven broad categories as given below-
- Arts and Crafts Village
- Ecologically Oriented Village
- Scholastic Village linked with Textual and Scriptural Traditions of India
- Epic Village linked with Ramayana, Mahabharata and/or Puranic legends and oral epics
- Historical Village linked with Local and National History
- Architectural Heritage Village
Any other characteristic that may need highlighting such as fishing village, horticulture village, shepherding village etc.
This information was given by Union Minister for Culture, Tourism and Development of North Eastern Region Shri G.Kishan Reddy in Rajya Sabha today.