Mithun Chakraborty is famously known for his larger-than-life roles & those B-grade films which he did in 90s
Bollywood actor Mithun Chakraborty is famously known for his larger-than-life roles & those B-grade films which he did in 90s. But whenever he gets chance to show his histrionics we get to know what he is capable of doing.
Few lesser known facts about him:-
1) Before joining the film industry Gouranga (his original name) was a Naxalite who quit because of an unfortunate demise of his brother.
2) He is a graduate of famous Film & Technical Institute of India, Pune & won a national award for his very debut film “Mrigaya” directed by Mrinal Sen. As of today he has 3 national awards under his belt for Mrigaya, Tahader Kotha & Swami Vivekananda (where he played Ramkhrishna).
3) He was the highest tax payer for 5 consecutive years from 1995 to 1999
4) He was a wrestler in his younger days winning the West Bengal State Wrestling Championship in the Junior Category in 1967
5) After Raj Kapoor he is the only actor to have a massive fan following in Russia.
6) In India some ardent fans calls him “prabhuji” & even built a temple. Though Mithunda doesn’t approve such insanity & stayed away from the temple.
7) He was briefly married to Sridevi during mid-80s.
8 )Being an ardent fan of Michael Jackson & Mohammed Ali he named his son “Mimoh”. He’s passionate fan, I must say!!
9) Taken from the iconic character “jimmy” from “disco dancer” there is a short comic book named “Jimmy Zhingchak – Agent of D.I.S.C.O” that later inspired to create the character of “Disco Fighter” in the quirky comedy Delhi Belly.
10) His so-bad-that’s-good “Gunda” has a cult following. Infact even some 6-7 years back Gunda was the only India film which had a rating of
11)Mithun Chakravarty had acted in two odia film sahara Jaluchi & Ae Jugara Krushna Sudama>