Newdelhi:10/6/22:The QS World University Rankings 2023 was released on Thursday by QS Quacquarelli Symonds, global higher education think-tank and compilers of the world’s most-consulted university rankings portfolio.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) is the top university in the world for the 11th consecutive year.
Just like last year, the top-100 list doesn’t feature any Indian university, and this is for the sixth year straight that IISc Bengaluru (Rank 155), IIT Bombay (Rank 172) and IIT Delhi (Rank 174) are the only three Indian universities that bagged a spot amongst the top 200. IIT Bombay saw a big dip from Rank 117 last year to Rank 172 this year.
For the 2023 edition, QS analysed a total of 2,462 institutions and ranked 1,422 institutions in the world — which is their largest pool till date. In the total list, 41 Indian universities got ranked, with only 27 in the top 1000, 3 in the top 200, and none in the top 100.
QS analysed 151,000 responses from academics around the world and 99,000 responses from employers worldwide for this year’s rankings.
The top 10 universities of the world remain the same, apart from a few having shifted around in the top 10 rankings this year.
The QS rankings for the universities are based on the following metrics:
- Academic Reputation (40%)
- Employer Reputation (10%)
- Faculty/Student Ratio (20%)
- Citations per faculty (20%)
- International Faculty Ratio (5%)
- International Student Ratio (5%)
- Here are the top 10 universities in the world:1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)Location: Cambridge, United States
2. University of Cambridge
Location: Cambridge, United Kingdom
3. Stanford University
Location: Stanford, United States
4. University of Oxford
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
5. Harvard University
Location: Cambridge, United States
6. California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
Location: Pasadena, United States
7. Imperial College London
Location: London, United Kingdom
Location: London, United Kingdom
9. ETH Zurich – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
10. University of Chicago
Location: Chicago, United States
QS WORLD UNIVERSITY RANKINGS 2023: TOP 10 FROM INDIA
Only 27 Indian universities and institutes found a place amongst the top 1000 universities of the world.
This number shows a slight uptick from the last few years there were 20 Indian varsities in the 2022 rankings, 21 in the 2021 rankings, 23 in 2020, 24 in 2019, and 20 in 2018.
Here are the top 10 Indian universities as per the QS World University Rankings 2023:
1. Indian Institute of Science (IISc)
2. Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IITB)
3. Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IITD)
4. Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IITM)
5. Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (IITK)
6. Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur (IIT-KGP)
7. Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee (IITR)
8. Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati (IITG)
9. Indian Institute of Technology Indore (IIT-Indore)
10. University of Delhi (DU)
QS WORLD UNIVERSITY RANKINGS 2023: HIGHLIGHTS
- Out of the 41 institutions which have been ranked from India, 11 are IITs.
- Of the top 10 universities in India, 8 are IITs, one is IISc Bengaluru, and the tenth spot is bagged by Delhi University.
- Last year, Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) was at the tenth spot. But this year, IIT Indore has made an entry into India’s top 10 and pushed JNU to the 15th spot.
- On the 17th spot among Indian varsities lies OP Jindal University, the first among private universities, and the only Indian non-STEM and non-Medicine university to have found a place in the QS World University Rankings 2023.
INSTITUTES OF EMINENCE FIND PLACES
In the QS World University Rankings 2023, 16 of the 20 institutions selected for granting ‘Institution of Eminence’ (IoE) status by the Government of India have found a place.
These include 4 IITs, Indian Institute of Science, Delhi University, Anna University, University of Hyderabad, Jadavpur University, Banaras Hindu University, OP Jindal Global University, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, BITS Pilani, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT) and Jamia Hamdard.Out of those 16 institutions, 7 institutions moved up in the rankings, 4 went down and 5 remained in the same positions as last year