Bhubaneswar:15/5/20: In order to mitigate the anxiety of students, parents, and schools due to the situation arising out of the pandemic COVID-19, the Odisha government today promoted all students from Classes I to VIII in the academic year 2019-20 to the next academic class.
A notification has been issued by the Odisha School & Mass Education Department in the regard.
“Keeping in view the interest and academic welfare of the students, against the background of the prevailing extraordinary circumstances and the lockdown, Government have been pleased to order that all students studying in Odisha State Government schools under School & Mass Education Department, in Classes-I to VIII in the academic year 2019-20 stand promoted to the next class,” the S&ME Dept said.
The S&ME Dept also asked the school authorities to ensure that the information on the promotion of the mentioned classes is disseminated to all concerned students and parents/ guardians.
In another notification, the School & Mass Education Department said, “In view of the pandemic situation arising out of COVID 19 and subsequent closure of Schools resulting in the postponement of Examination of few subjects of Class IX, now Government after careful consideration have been pleased to order that promotion of Class-IX students to Class-X in all Odia Medium Schools affiliated to Board of Secondary Education, Madrasah and Sanskrit-tols under School and Mass Education Department for the session 2019-20 may be taken at school level in the following manner.
- Marks secured by students in Annual Examination shall be taken into consideration for the papers for which such Examination has already been conducted.
- For papers for which Examination has not been conducted, marks secured in Half-Yearly Examinations shall be taken into consideration/calculation.
- Aggregate marks secured thus arrived at shall be considered for promotion.
- In case a student has not appeared in Half-Yearly Examination on Medical Ground/Any other genuine Ground, the average percentage of marks secured in all Unit-test shall be taken, and accordingly, the marks for Annual Examination shall be calculated for total 100 marks.
- Other criteria including a minimum percentage of attendance in class shall remain the same.