Bhubaneswar:27/12/19: A Postal Gallery will be opened on December 29 in the Odisha State Museum as a joint of Odisha Postal Circle, Govt. of India and Odisha State Museum, Govt of Odisha.
As Odisha State Museum fascinates and attracts a huge number of visitors every day round the year, Chief Postmaster General, Odisha Circle and Superintendent of Odisha State Museum visualised of a Postal Gallery with an objective to exhibit glorious past of postal history starting from exchange of mails to the present diversified role of postal services to the worldwide visitors and preservation of postal antiques/items/stamps /stationery etc for the benefit of future generation.
He submitted a proposal for opening of a “Postal Galleries in Odisha State Museum to Odisha State government, which was accepted on 09.10.2019 and it was decided that the “Postal Gallery” will be inaugurated on the 62 Foundation Day of Odisha State Museum i.e 29.12.2019 by the Chief Guest of the occasion. However, in this short duration of time, postal authorities of Odisha Postal Circle is able to find out some of the antiques/ postal items/stamps/seals /stationery etc which will not only fascinate the visitors but also will be a platform for acquiring basic knowledge about Indian Postal System.
One Special Exhibition on Father of the Nation, M.K.Gandhi of around 60 frames will also be held on the day of the inauguration of Postal gallery and two Special Covers on Unsung Heroes of Odisha viz. Sahid Baji Rout and Bakshi Jagabandhu will be released on the inauguration ceremony on December 29.. Hon’ble Governor of Odisha has consented to inaugurate the Postal Gallery on 29.12.2019.
The main attraction of the Postal Gallery is the following:-
- Different types of old letterboxes along with a letterbox having Victoria Crown
- Different types of scales and weights,
- The spear used by Harkar (Dak runner).
- Different old items like stamps, seal, cash bag, etc and postal stationeries.
- Different uniforms of postman.
- A Morse machine.
- Commemorative Postage Stamps and Special Covers issued on Odisha.
- Postal stamps and Special Covers on Father of the Nation, M.K. Gandhi to commemorate 150 yrs of the Birth Ceremony.