Bhubaneswar:1/9/18 :Amid reports of the death of an engineering student due to ‘Momo challenge’, the Odisha police today issued an advisory warning people, especially the youngsters to stay away from the ‘killer’ online game, which is now going viral on social media.
The Crime Branch of the State police has issued a precautionary notice urging parents and teachers to keep an eye on their online activities.
The game lures player to add an unknown contact on WhatsApp by the name of ‘Momo’. Once the contact is added, the image of a terrifying Japanese ‘Momo’ doll with bulging eyes appears in the contact list. The game controller then entices the player to perform a series of challenges including suicide.
Here’s how you can know:
- Unknown link coming to your WhatsApp number should be deleted immediately
- Unknown invitation through WhatsApp may be avoided.
- If some unknown number is asking for playing the game then simply block the number
Signs and symptoms of victims:
- Becoming withdrawn from friends and family
- Persistent low mood and unhappiness
- Looking worried
- Not carrying out day to day tasks
- Sudden outburst of anger directed at themselves or others
- Loss of interest in activities that may used to enjoy
- Visible marks like deep cuts or wounds on any part of the body of the child
Advice to Parents:
- Unusually secretive behaviour of children mostly related to their online activity
- A sudden increase in the time they spend online, especially social ,media
- They seems to change screens on their device when approached
- They become withdrawn or angry, after using the internet or sending the text messages
- Their device suddenly has many new phone numbers and email contacts