Bhubaneswar:19/6/18;At the Natural Calamity Committee Meeting, Chief Minister Shri Naveen Patnaik directed focus on impact of monsoon on the State. Key issues discussed in the meeting:
• Odisha experiences nature’s fury in shape of various calamities; last year state was affected by drought, pest attack and unseasonal cyclonic rain & flood
• Delayed southwest monsoon has resulted in dry spell with hot and humid weather conditions across the state
• Agriculture Department, in coordination with Odisha University of Agriculture & Technology, to observe the situation closely and activate contingency plan, if required
• Full preparedness to tackle possible flood and cyclone during monsoon; measures like early warning system, rescue & relief operations, supply of drinking water, health, veterinary etc to be in place
• Odisha Disaster Rapid Action Force and Fore Services to be on alert; sufficient food materials in vulnerable & inaccessible areas & round the clock operation of District Emergency Operation Centre to be ensured.
Chief Minister stressed attention to vulnerable population like children, pregnant women, physically & mentally challenged persons, widows and elderly people during rescue and relief operations.