Sanya:18/11/17; India`s Manushi Chhillar has won the coveted Miss World 2017 pageant.
The 20-year old from Haryana also won the Head to Head Challenge and the Beauty with a Purpose titles on Saturday.
Chhillar has won the title 17 years after actor Priyanka Chopra won it in 2000. She competed against 108 contestants from various countries at a glittering event held at Sanya City Arena in China.
Miss World 2016 winner Puerto Rico`s Stephanie Del Valle gave away the crown to the winner.
Chhillar had earlier this year won the Femina Miss India 2017.
Born to doctor parents, she is a medical student and has studied at St Thomas School in New Delhi and Bhagat Phool Singh Government Medical College for Women in Sonepat.
Chhillar’s entire family including brother and sister were present at the event.
In question and answer round post getting the top five spot, she was asked – “Which profession deserves the highest salary and why?”
Chhillar replied – “I think a mother is of the highest respect. I don`t think its just about cash but love and respect she gives to someone. She is the biggest inspiration in my life. Mother should get the highest respect.”
Aishwarya Rai and Diana Hayden have also won the crown earlier.
Here’s all you need to know about the new Miss World:
- Manushi Chhillar hails from Haryana, the State unpopular for the worst male-female ratio in the country. She is a student of Bhagat Phool Singh Government Medical College for Women in Sonepat, Haryana.
- Manushi’s father, Dr Mitra Basu Chhillar is a scientist at DRDO, and mother, Dr Neelam Chhillar is the head of the department of Neuro-chemistry at the Institute of Human Behaviour and Allied Sciences.
- Manushi is only 20 years old, and the sixth Indian woman to be crowned Miss World. Chhillar studied in St. Thomas School, New Delhi.
4.. Manushi was pursuing her Bachelor’s degree in medicine and surgery, when she got herself enrolled for the pageant.
- Manushi is a trained Kuchipudi dancer, and has trained under legendary dancers Raja and Radha Reddy.
- Manushi has also been a part of National School of Drama, and enjoys swimming in her free time. Chhillar has a keen interest in poetry, and likes painting too.
- Apart from being exceptionally talented, Manushi also has a flair for the English language, and was the All-India CBSE topper in English, in Class 12.
- Manushi took up the cause of menstrual hygiene, and spread awareness in 20 villages, under her Beauty with a Purpose project. Her initiative was called Project Shakti.